Thursday, November 8, 2007

Limbo

Okay, I'm not going to lie, this last week has not been quite as productive as I had hoped. Being in the middle of "crunch time" and trying to pull the things together that need to come together, I find myself looking for the motivation I think I need to do them; when it's not there, I start to get disappointed and allow the situation to bother me.

Every second is a new opportunity to change the things we don't like. I don't like the way I've been practicing. I feel I've been giving in... to aches and pains, fatigue, hunger, being sick, intimidation, distractions, being cold, etc. Now I'm saying it out loud: there's no more giving in.

Training a mind is an impressive thing. YEARS, I have spent working on different concepts mentally and emotionally to try and improve my performances and it wasn't until recently that I really understood how to do that. It's different for everyone, I'm sure, but in my case I have to stay focused on what's happening RIGHT NOW, and I have to make things factual.

One of the coaches I work with differentiates "facts" from "stories" when talking about productivity. (ex: fact--I do triple axels (I have done it once and therefore can repeat it--I am physically capable and that is indisputable); story--my last triple axel wasn't very good... I'm tired... my legs are sore (these are all the things we tell ourselves to make sense out of why we're not accomplishing what we want to; this is the story we create behind the fact). My point: focus on the facts, DON'T create a story!!

Every day, before each session, I will remind myself of my strengths; I will remind myself of the things I will do on that session (motivated or not, hungry or not, tired/sick/sore or not). I will stay focused on my goals for the day, for that session, and keep distractions away. I will focus on the facts and enjoy the journey.

Until next time,
Braden

1 comment:

Jazzpants said...

First thing... I ran into Nick at Skate SF last weekend and I asked how your skating has been (since obviously I didn't see you THIS year at Skate SF.) He told me about your fracture shoulder. (Saw the xray pictures! YEEEECH!!!) He told me that despite the injury, you're doing JUST great now!!! :-)

As for the "crunch time" thing - plan each day on what you plan to do, what your priorities are, etc. Take it a day at a time!!! You'd be surprised how much you get done when you take it a day at a time.

You have the talent, skating style, programs and the skating skills! You also have another opportunity RIGHT NOW to make things better for yourself! You're probably too young to remember the old Star Wars motto: "Try not. Do. Or do not! There is no try!!!" In the end, that's been my motto on just about everything in skating. (Well, that and "Shut up and skate..." Yes, I have sadist coaches!!!)

So go and DO IT!!! You can do it! Meanwhile, good luck at Sectionals!!! I'll be cheering for 'ya from SF!!!

-Joanna