Sunday, November 18, 2007

Midwesterns

Well, I arrived home this morning after competing at the Midwestern Sectional Championships this last weekend. The good news: I'm going to nationals. The not as good news: I didn't skate as well as I wanted.

A brief run down...

Short Program: this went very well considering the preparation for it (remember I completely re choreographed the program after Southwesterns) was all of about a week and a half. I made the strategic decision to do a double axel instead of a triple--for a better overall point value. I did fall on my triple lutz though which compromised the combination jump and didn't much help my score... mmmm, ouch! There were a number of timing errors and artistic issues that will get resolved [and were probably only noticeable to me] but overall, the program was very well received--a big improvement from Southwesterns. I'm totally psyched about that. I placed 2nd in the short program.

Long Program: this was a disappointing program to say the least. Unfortunately, when skaters don't skate well, the fine-toothed comb comes out and the situation gets dissected. What happened? Why? What could've changed? What would've made it better? Was there a problem in the warm-up? Should you have been warmer? Were you nervous? Did you eat the right things during the day? Were you tired? Should you have napped? Taken a longer nap? Blah blah blah. There's only so much that's going to be helped by looking back on something and pointing fingers or finding fault. Instead, what were the good things? I got level 3's on both sequences of footwork with 2's and 3's for the grade of execution--that's something to be excited about, keep that feeling. All of my spins received a level 4, which is the first time that's ever happened--that's something to be excited about, Keep That Feeling. This was also the first competition in which I received some 8's for my components--that's something be excited about--KEEP THAT FEELING! I finished in 3rd place, overall.

It's important to reflect only long enough to learn from your mistakes and NO more than that; learn, and move on!!

What did I learn and what am I going to do about it?

1) I'm not invincible; maintain an understanding that the best program wins, no matter who you are or what your history.

2) Assumptions are holes we get stuck in; don't assume anything--understand that nothing is a given, nothing is for sure, and it's not over until it's over... don't allow assumptions to dictate your mental approach. Your program requires 100% of your effort the whole way through no matter how good or bad it may feel.

3) Program run-throughs are imperative for the necessary familiarity--that means committed run-throughs, with everything in them, including the same effort you expect at competition; practice, practice, practice!

4) My mind is not immune to distractions; practice managing distractions by staying totally focused on your task, what you're doing right now, and exactly what you intend to do in this moment. Don't lose sight of right now by looking too far ahead or behind.

Overall the competition was a great experience. There's plenty to improve and a reasonable amount of time in which to make it happen.

DESTINATION: NATIONALS!!!

'til next time...

Braden

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm thrilled that you will be at Nationals once again! You have so much flair in your skating that makes you a favorite to watch even on days when the jumps are not all there. I hope to see you make the top 6 in the FS so that I can watch it LIVE on my HDTV!

Jazzpants said...

Congrats to you Braden on making it to Nationals!!! So happy for 'ya! Here's hoping I'll get to see you on national TV this time!!! :-)