Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Buzz-less-ness!!

Hello all... or one... or whomever is reading my bloggings.

My "Enter" key works today and I'm really excited about it!!

Here's a little story. This morning I got up and had to be at the rink early as my schedule was a little different than usual. I was freezing, I was in a good mood but without any drive in my system whatsoever--I would have made the best audience member known to man! It took me almost an entire session just to warm up, which is ridiculous, and I still didn't feel like moving. I was a little distracted, thinking about how today's schedule was different, the business-related conversation I had just finished, the fact that I only had a small cup of juice for breakfast, etc.--mostly non-skating things; none of these thoughts were downers, just non-skating. I was kind of just going through the motions in the hypnotic malaise of the everyday monotony without much focus... doing the "ho-hum" thing. I would say my mind was operating at 80-85% of where it's been recently: focused, determined, unwavering! What does this all mean? NO ONE CARES!! It occurred to me a little later that it was just one of those days; there wasn't the same nationals-buzz in the air... it was just kind of flat... buzz-less, if you will.

I thought it would take an act of congress to do a good program until I told myself, "it's not a choice--that's why I'm here. I do my programs every day and I do them well. Cold, tired, sore (which is better today, by the way), annoyed, unmotivated, etc... doesn't matter; I do great programs every day. Is today one of those 'every days?' Yes. So do your programs. I rotate all my jumps. I land my jumps. I do everything in my program. Etc, etc." Well, I did a short program with a couple very minor mistakes--overall, great job! I then proceeded to the long where I did a great program having only stepped out of my second triple axel. I did two great programs today and wasn't motivated in the least. THAT'S HUGE!!!!!! HUUUUUGGGGEEEE!!!! Hey, look at that--I can do a great program even when I'm not feeling on top of my game. This is the kind of day when mental training pays off; it's the kind of day when you don't feel a hundred percent and still need to operate at a high-performance level. Today was a GREAT day. I grew as an athlete; I grew as a skater; I grew as a person!

Here's to another great day!!

Braden

2 comments:

Jazzpants said...

WOW!!! I just read all four of your blogs from the last few days!!! Seriously, I figured you weren't writing b/c you were busy with holidays and preparing for US Nationals.

Glad your "Enter" key is working. LOL!!! You'll need to get one of those keyboard air pressure cleaners and "spray" the keyboard out occasionally. You could get those at any Office Depot, computer stores, or sometimes even Walgreen's.

I think if you are able to get thru a program while you're not at the top of your game physically and mentally and you still managed to get thru both your program like that, YOU ARE READY!!! And yes, it IS HUGE!!! It shows you have successfully "stress-proof" your programs. And with that, I think you're gonna have a GREAT day when you're at Nationals!!!

You got the skills, the drive and the talent! Go show'em what you got!!! I know you can do this, so go DO IT!!!

Toni Rogers said...

Good luck at Nationals next week. Everyone will be cheering you on from Denver.

You've got the talent - think positive and the sky's the limit.
Toni